View Single Post
Old Apr 20th, 2019, 18:39   #34
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
I'm not against electronic dipstick systems, in fact most of us are happy to be reliant upon the fuel gauge. It's just that this engine oil level system used by Volvo does NOT present an accurate indication of the oil level, despite the sensor element having an apparent sensitivity of 1%... it seems to have been dumbed down to avoid the need for any operator interpretation, merely giving a 'min' or 'max' indication as a threshold is crossed.

And why must it be reset at every oil change? If the sump is fully drained, then refilled with the correct volume of fresh oil each time then surely the sensing system must give the correct level indication? Unless it drifts over time, it which case it seems wrong to claim a 1% accuracy?

It's almost like Volvo would prefer owners to just take the car to their nearest dealer whenever a warning message is given...

Because it then takes what ever level is in the sump after the oil change to be the correct 100% level ... hence calibration .. There is a tolerance of how much can go in , over the last 5 years i have found 5 litres is the correct volume to fill with , that is half way in between the allowed tolerance ... Yes i have said earlier , if you change your own oil and put exactly the same amount in each time it will always be calibrated ok . No it doesn't drift . it remembers the level ( which is assumed to be correct ) At the point of calibration .
The level gauge is good if used properly , it informs 100% of owners whether the level is high or low and advises the correct quantity to top up with . In my experience , probably 80% or more of people would never check oil levels , just the same as they don't check tyre pressures hence those being a legal requirement now !
This may be a bias place to talk about that as 100% of us always dip our oil and check tyre pressures weekly ..