Thread: Electrics: 70: - Battery Drain?
View Single Post
Old Mar 20th, 2019, 09:11   #5
tdidave
V70 TDi CD

This was an ongoing problem on my 1998 V70 Tdi for quite a few years.

I eliminated all the usual suspects because they were staying on and draining the battery.. ie.. door/floor courtesy lights, red door edge lights. Seemed ok for a while, but the car was being used daily and it was summer, so less use of lights, heater, etc.

I then had the same problem again come wintertime. Starter problems this time though. Changed the starter and once again all seemed well, until I didn't use the car for a week. Flat battery! I recharged the battery, and did not lock the car, as my alarm system is not functioning correctly, so thought maybe that was causing the drain.

Carried on not locking the car here in France where I'm based at the moment. Didn't use the car for two days, and that coincided with very icy cold weather. Flat battery!

I recharged the battery, but after a couple of days the alternator light came on intermittently, then stayed on. I put a new alternator on, and touch wood, despite some icy weather the car has been starting fine.

Now, has it inadvertently cured the flat battery problem, I don't know, but I'm hoping so.

As Volvo Again says.. "I think it would be normal to get a very small current drain, radio memory, alarm, ecu memory etc but it shouldn't drain the battery". It is going to be a bit of trial and error I'm afraid using a good multi-meter.

I wish you all the best anyway.. Dave..

My old Turquoise 850 TDi GLT & my present Garnet Red V70 TDi CD

My 1998 V70 TDi CD : http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/album.php?albumid=654
tdidave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tdidave For This Useful Post: