View Single Post
Old May 22nd, 2020, 10:49   #14
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
I hadn’t realised that that comment could be misconstrued.
Re those pipes. There may be some misunderstanding here.
The ones I am referring to do not return to the fluid reservoir. Those ones are definitely flexible.
My rack has two rigid metal pipes located externally along it’s length. These are the ones which, if not a accurately bent and fitted with non standard short unions at each end, foul the sub frame.
One end of each one is fitted into the “pinion box” of the rack near to where the pipes from the compressor are fitted.
One pipe is longer than the other.
The other end of the long one is fitted into the rack housing near the far end of the rack.
The other end of the shorter one is fitted into the rack housing approximately at the middle point of the housing.
I may be completely wrong but my thinking is that those pipes return fluid, which has been displaced by the movement of the rack, back to the “pinion housing” so there must be some pressure within them, albeit not great.
Probably my warped sense of humour and taking your comment out of context Ian!

I haven't investigated the internal architecture of the Volvo rack but from what you described, i would suggest there is a spool valve of some description in the pinion housing and this opens up to either end of a hydraulic ram inside the rack so at any given time, one end will be pressure and the other return. When you change the direction of the steering wheel, the pipes will change function and what was pressure will becom return and vice versa, all done by the valve in the pinon housing.

As such i would suggest both pipes should be either steel or some other high pressure material.

Are the pipes available from Volvo at all?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote