Thread: new owner
View Single Post
Old May 23rd, 2020, 20:36   #8
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

Well done for taking the chance on the T4, I've got one myself and having owned the 1.8 and 1.6 models I can guarantee yours is the more fun version.

Sorry to hear it's come with such a list of issues. As regards the bodywork perhaps it's had a bit of a 'life', being the sporty version that it is.

The rough running and no tickover does come up on here so check some previous posts.

It's possibly the MAF or another sensor or two.

If you've not got one I'd recommend you get a code reader off ebay and bluetooth that to your phone - you'll be able to read the key info regarding fuel, etc without any Volvo-only readers being required.

On my last S40 it kept throwing an error code that related to idle running etc

When you next post let us know the reg year since there's a S1 and S2 model.

Also, if you grab hold of the engine no & the VIN you'll be able to check that the engine's as described and what if any upgrades were with the car when new.

As said above, there's a demand for T4 spares so don't let it go 'as is' to a scrapyard as you'll not get more than around £150 I'd say at the moment.

A few parts would get you over that figure, eg wheels, engine, gbox, lights & some trim.

Lastly, get some pics on here - we're not into 'pristine garage cars' on here & are 100% ok with the 'in need of work' variety - it is a T4, after all & deserves saving.