View Single Post
Old Mar 9th, 2024, 20:39   #8
142 Guy
Master Member

I did investigate the EZpowersteering option. My recollection was that they did not offer a 'drop in' replacement for the 140; but, they would do custom installations. The custom installations required that the car be taken to an 'agent' for fitting which turned out to be a non-option for me because the agent was > 5000 km away and on the other side of an international border. Their agent did offer a non customized option for self install; but, that looked like it was going to require some significant fettling so once I was faced with that the Versa unit was much more attractive for me.

My son and I sourced the Versa EPS from a wrecked car at a pick and pull salvage yard. I think I paid either $35 or $50 $Cdn for the complete steering column assembly with the EPS. That kind of established a framework for how much I was prepared to fork over for this installation .

EZ has been in the business for a significant period of time so I expect that they offer a good product. If you can get them to do an install for a reasonable price and access to the agent is convenient I expect that the installation will be a quality product. With a little fine tuning with a smaller steering wheel and some experimentation on caster angles I expect that you will be very happy with the system.

I will add one cautionary note. The EPS unit seems to exacerbate slop issues that may be present in the existing 140 steering box / steering gear. Make sure that your idler arm is in good condition. I upgraded to one of those brass bushing models. If your steering box is tired you might want to investigate whether you can find a 'less tired' box. The revised lower steering shaft arrangement that I have would make it much easier for me to install a manual steering rack if I were so inclined. Every once in a while when I get bored I start looking at after market steering racks as possible candidates for replacement of my steering box.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 142 Guy For This Useful Post: