View Single Post
Old Oct 29th, 2009, 21:17   #37
Yet another Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90caravanpuller View Post
Have learnt that parking sensor "service required" is because we should have switched it off with the caravan on the back.
£54.36 each and 3 hours to remove bumper and fit!!!!!!!
Seems only one is faulty , but would anyone know if it's worth replacing them all?
Interesting, that is news to me. We have been pulling our Senator Indiana for two years now and I have never turned off the parking sensors. Oddly enough it wasn't until I read this that it occurred to me that when I reverse with the van on the back they don't sound. Our towbar and electrics were an original install (Volvo parts) as part of the car purchase, I wonder if the software is bright enough to sense the towing socket is in use and turn the sensors off.

Getting back to the original purpose of this thread, I can report that we have done many long downhill runs in the last two years (the drop off each side of the Massif Central comes to mind) and, with cruise control set, our XC90 D5 AWD has generally not strayed much more than a couple of miles off the setting - both solo and towing. Occasionaly though on a particularly steep descent it does seem to "get away" but it just takes a brief touch on the brakes to pull it back under control.

However, in May, driving solo on a hot day up from the South of France we had just crossed the Millau bridge and stopped for a change of drivers. There had been roadworks which had left us crawling uphill in the heat for over an hour. Setting off again a warning popped up "Transmission Service Required". I spent the next ten minutes ploughing through the user manual and ringing back to the UK (it was a bank holiday here) to try to find how urgent this message was. Then we just lost drive completely. There was a boiling sound coming from the gearbox for a few seconds. We were recovered home (which is another epic story) and, to cut a very very long story short, Volvo UK arranged for a replacement gearbox to be fitted as soon as they could.

It came as rather a shock to our system because we had grown to completely trust the car. Now, if I am stuck in slow traffic on a hot day I think I might start to think about pulling over - a few minutes/hours delay is better than not having the car for a month.

Cheers

Mike
Yet another Mike is offline   Reply With Quote