View Single Post
Old Mar 27th, 2024, 11:49   #9
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierx View Post
I don't think changing power steering fluid has ever fixed a worn out pump 😉

Doesn't hurt to flush out the system though ready for when you install the new component(s)

With the car in park/neutral. Start turning the steering wheel and rev the engine up to around 3k rpm, if the steering becomes lighter as the engine revs up, then the pump is bad (or possibly the pressure regulator) however at 160k+ miles, it is highly likely to be a worn out pump.

If revving the engine makes no differnce, does the car have variable speed power steering? (check in vehicle settings menu) if yes, then it can be a bad control module (located behind the glove box) or the fuse feeding power to the variable power steering module. Also check the wiring connecting to the steering rack, located behind the drivers side front wheel liner)
It doesn't have variable speed steering. I've revved the engine slightly, but it made no difference. Admittedly, I didn't do it to 3,000 rpm. I'll have to try that.

My guess is the pump too, but I'll change the fluid anyway for the sake of it.

I can't find any power steering pump replacement videos for a 2008 P3 D5. I've seen a video on a petrol model, but that's a completely different engine and the layout is different under the bonnet. I don't think power steering pumps are cheap?

Last edited by Kev0607; Mar 27th, 2024 at 11:51.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote