View Single Post
Old Nov 3rd, 2018, 05:08   #87
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueosprey90 View Post
A mystery indeed. The transmission is marked as an M3, but it is clearly a 4 speed with no 1st gear syncromesh. The edge of the transmission cover seems to "marry to" the tunnel pretty well. But the cover looks like it was pounded from the underside to clear a transmission that extended several inches further to the rear. The entire tunnel appears welded in place, but looks to be original.

If not for sound, the rag was probably put there to block out heat/cold and fumes. The tune on the car was horrible when I acquired it and from what I could see of carbon buildup on the pistons through the spark plug holes, had probably been out of tune for years. Doesn't give off much in the way of fumes now that I have worked over the tuning.

Army, my three point retractable seat belts came in and the reel part is quite large - one might say huge. Do you think one might be able to mount that piece behind the cross member that supports the rear seat. And have the belt come up through the rear seat armrest area? I haven't yet gotten to the point where I can pop that rear seat out to examine. Appreciate any insight you might be able to provide.
The overdrive is (normally) a unit that fits on the rear end of the transmission.

I'm fairly sure that you can find stamped lettering and numbers on the gearbox that will confirm that it is an M40 - I found them on mine in the end. I'm having a bit of a brain fart and can't remember exactly where but I think I remember that they were not visible from underneath. They were on a machined edge of the casting somewhere. I'll look later on at mine today...

...as for fumes - have you looked at the crankcase breathing system yet?

####

Seat belts:-

There needs to be a straight line between the reel and the top swivel mount on the (upper part of the) B pillar. In principle you could mount the reel on the skew so the belt is directed in a straight line to the mount. However most reels are designed to be in a horizontal orientation with the belt coming out vertically - you'd have to check with the manufacturer for their safety advice (I'm guessing the answer will be don't fit at an angle).

Space-wise the rear seat fits snugly up against the side panels. There's not much space behind these panels. The lightweight metal work behind the panels could be adjusted but I think it is probably best to consider cutting into the under rear seat bulkhead section to make space for the reels like someone did on my car.

EDIT:-

Found some pictures of the ID tag on my M40

I remembered it all rather incorrectly (!). As you can see there's a tag on the underside close to where the speedo cable fits

1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!

Last edited by Army; Nov 3rd, 2018 at 05:38. Reason: Correct and added pictures
Army is offline   Reply With Quote