View Single Post
Old May 12th, 2021, 14:46   #28
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exasperant View Post
Mk1 F VVC (you can see why I've bought something bigger and floatier to go alongside..) - I thought only the posher/ k V6 engines had the sensor, certainly that's what the internet generally claims? I'm tempted to plug the diag box in later now out of curiosity :-)

First thing I learned when I got an F was "Be thankful for enthusiasts who reverse engineer the code reader kit, because a good ear, points file, and something to free off the mixture nut on an SU isn't going to cut it"

Which reminds me, is there anything similar for this era of Volvo?
I'm fairly certain the early K series had the knock sensor, can't quite remember my years but i think the F was 95-98 then repalced with the TF? You're lucky you've found a reverse engineered code reader, they're notoriously scarce!

When you say anything similar for this era of Volvo, i assume you mean some form of diagnostic kit?

If you lift the bonnet, you should find two small black boxes near the left hand suspension turret and bulkhead. Yours should be the LH-2.4 system so follow the destructions here for it :

https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/EngineOBDCodes.html

As you'll (hopefully) find, a built in code reader! Be warned though, some faults can cause other codes to be generated so always worth a post to double check - for example a failed fuel pump causing an FTP will often throw a MAF or AICV code, sometimes Lambda sensor as well but not often.

Perfectly logical reasons for this - the system can't tell a failed fuel pump but it can tell that despite the ECU telling the AICV to open the engine spped and flow through the MAF hasn't increased, therefore one or both must be faulty - according to the ECUs limited "thinking".
In truth, the engine can't increase speed because there's no fuel getting through! Likewise it's getting no signal from the Lambda (which only works hot so the code only appears on a hot engine usually) so it assumes that isn't working either.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote