View Single Post
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 17:36   #8
keithC70

Default Further update on DIM repair

Well I've had to take it out again and have another go.

The green indicator lights and click gradually got worse until they stopped working altogether, although the indicators all continued to work.

Also the orange warning triangle and SRS warning came back, and then finally the scrambled information screen. AAAAARRRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!

So I spent a good four hours at the weekend and carefully re-soldered every joint on the pcb that I could get at. Fitted it back ........ and the clock and temp screen didn't work.

Off again and eventually realised all that needed was a new bulb!

So back in again and now all back together and working correctly. I hope it lasts longer than the last time. I've only done about 500 miles since the last post.

This time I spent far longer on each of the joints and used more flux. I made absolutely sure that each joint was definitely melted. I was methodical and systematic. Last time I wasn't and may have missed a few or only partly did them.

Some of the adjacent connections on the chip were soldered together (because my iron's a bit too big and spans the contacts) and so I had to use solder extractor and make sure they were separate before I moved along to the next one.

I did nearly every joint on the board including the bigger ones that you'd think would be ok, so I'm now hoping that'll do the job.

I'll update again in about a year!
keithC70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to keithC70 For This Useful Post: