View Single Post
Old Nov 19th, 2009, 12:32   #11
shedtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLMENPLAYON10 View Post
Newbie here. Have done a search but without much luck.

I have a 2001 V40 as my daily, never missed a beat and cant fault it.

The prob is the mother in law (her car not her for a change).
its an 06 plate 1.6 s40, the on board computer came on yday and read "engine warning power system service urgent" .
I only find this out today when she happens to mention that her local volvo dealer from where she purchased the car new has diagnosed it as needing a new alternator and the cost is £400!!!

is it me or is that steeep???
Plus alternator failing on such a new car, is this common?

thanks
Hi - We have a 1.8 Petrol V50 and had the same message last year. (accompanied by some quite unhappy noises from the Alternator) I was quoted over £600 by the Volvo dealership in Preston (not Stratstone, as they had lost the franchise by then, but the shared one with - of all things - Fiat). They never mentioned getting £100 back for the exchange of the old one. I was stunned that the alternator would fail so early (< 60K miles) and that a component on what is basically a Ford Focus engine could physically cost so much..

I tried shopping around but the independent garage that I use couldn't get the required part.

In the end I had the failed part rebuilt by an independent - who commented that it was a much more complex refurbishment kit and much more involved job than expected - but I think the bill came to £180 instead. Still shocking, but at least feasible, unlike the proposed £600+ bill.

Of course - in the back of my mind I worry that the refurbished one won't last as long as a brand new one..

Neil.
shedtastic is offline   Reply With Quote