View Single Post
Old Feb 16th, 2019, 17:41   #4
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetXC90 View Post
Apologies if inappropriate thread, am new here & struggling with a tiny phone screen but keen to get some answers.

I have a wonderful and well loved 54 plate auto XC90. She’s my first and I am not incredibly well off.
She’s due MOT this week.
I already know:-
ECU requires replacing (permanent intermittent wipers, alarm sensor corroded) £1000 plus.
Key stuck in ignition - new cable?
Open diode on/in alternator new Alt. £350+
Handbrake cable at taughtest - new cable?

Transmission service light on - alternator? Slips, as when a clutch slips on a manual.

Lots of little bits wrong, handle ends popped off, rear seat sticks and won’t fold. Not overly worried about these bits as they don’t affect A-B travel & for £1800 for a beastt I wasn’t expecting perfection!

Just had a new battery (no blowers & CD player locked).

These are just the bits I know of! When purchased, prevoius owner’s dad had serviced the car and alternator issues had been discovered. I’ve had it repaired (Nov but now same troubles) and I believe they also did.

So in my head I’m looking at £2,500 bill. To buy another at this cost, I’m just buying someone else’s troubles?

Help and/or advice greatly appreciated! I really want to keep the beast but at what point does one stop forking out?
To be frank I would not buy an xc90 if a £2500 bill was of concern.

I am far from rich but the thought of a £2500 bill whilst annoying does not phase me as I see it as a given when you start running cars like this.

It’s a bit like the range river forums full of people asking about 4 k bills. But one, service it and pay the money if it goes wrong.

You are looking at a 40k car so if it don’t need 2.5k spent this year it probably will soon.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post: