View Single Post
Old Oct 13th, 2015, 15:34   #23
johng007

Got my Hybrid now.
To sum it up .... Brilliant!! Love it.
In terms of the criticisms I have read about, yes I would agree the steering is a bit weird and lacks feel also needing a bit more lock than you would expect so am still running wide at roundabouts. Space .. well I know I have bought a sportback and not a V70. Ride ... what's all the fuss about, after all my M-Sports and S-Line's, this feels just fine with no body role. Like it.
Very smooth, refined, quick, very quiet (surprised at that after all critical comment I have read) and am forced to really boot it in order to actually hear the D5 engine noise that I love so much anyway.
Love the quiet running in electric mode and already having fun keeping the charge when on a run using the SAVE button.
POWER button only lightly used out of curiosity at the moment as I am still in ECO-warrior mode (plus wife in the car so far). It is kind of exciting though as you feel everything sharpen up around you and the car leap forward. Will have to experiment more to give a full objective observation.

I've mastered immediately kicking off the pre-conditioning from sitting in the car and with the VoC app. However, the PCC resolutely refuses to pre-condition as per the manual which is irritating me as that was my preferred option when getting ready in the morning.

Still to figure out how to defer charging until a) Economy7 cheap period starts and b) when sun comes out so I know PV panels are giving a free charge. I guess it is more RTFM time required, although the VoC app hints at setting locations so maybe that is how DieselElectric has mastered it??

If you have never driven one, I can thoroughly recommend it. You can simply jump in and blast off without a second's thought about electricity, saving the planet etc. if you like as it defaults to Hybrid mode. Alternatively you can play the Geek and have fun avoiding the engine kicking in, watching that pointer stay below the bar, twiddling with all the Volvo Driver support aids.

I must confess, I thought I was savvy enough to master the adaptive cruise control without reading the manual. After a little play I did manage to follow a car at a fixed distance for a couple of miles, then the car turned off and it all stopped again whatever I pressed. Yep - must read the manual.

The other observation is the Sensus Connect media ... on picking the car up from the dealers, my wife serenaded us with her iPad and Spotify via the USB port .... at least until we stopped at the M-way services. On returning to the car it refused all attempts to play the iPad again, saying something like "no files read". Driving us mad, especially as the Premium Sound is so very good!

I think I have been pretty economical as used SAVE whenever on open road at national limits, then hybrid around town. I would love to be able to view these figures in detail and maybe a bit geeky, put them in a spreadsheet, but have not figured out if the car or the VoC will tell me them. If anybody knows the answer, or the page in the manual, would appreciate knowing?

In summary, a brilliant car!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to johng007 For This Useful Post: