Thread: 940 insurance
View Single Post
Old Apr 26th, 2018, 09:23   #26
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I think to get the full advantage of the lower NZ premiums we'd all have to move to NZ Ash!

Over here, insurance is compulsory so that if you drive down the road and demolish someones garden and house with your car (or worse still, their children) the aggrieved third party can get some recompense through the insurance.

Correct me if i'm wrong Ash but i seem to recall you explaining there is a government run compensation scheme in NZ so that third parties get their recompense that way?

I think you also said how that limits the "cash for crash" scams that are rife here. That's one of the things that pushes our premiums up, that and joy-riding plus the amount of high-value cars that are stolen to order for various purposes.

Trouble with compulsory insurance, the insurers can almost charge what they like which means a lot of people take the chance and drive without insurance.

The irony is that the third party then has to either claim on their insurance or lose out. Allegedly this is why we have to pay even higher premiums.

I can't quite work that one out as if the uninsured driver had in fact had insurance with the same company as the third party, that company would have ended up paying in any case.

I'm sure they have some sort of weird, contorted logic in that but i don't see it myself.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote