View Single Post
Old Oct 29th, 2018, 13:05   #9
blueosprey90
Master Member

So, since this is the internet, take my comments with a grain of salt as I'm no expert on any subject.

But if you are interested in wear protection, as opposed to the weight of the oil, or its ZDDP rating, this blog may be of some interest - but you will need to scroll down many, many pages to find the writer's oil rankings.

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/201...-test-ranking/

I'm new to the Volvo world, but have been running an MGA (pushrod, flat tappets) for about 10 years. I use Valvoline VR-1 conventional race oil because of its relatively high ZDDP content - 30 weight or 20W50, whatever I can get.

I guess I should be paying more attention to updates in the blog, however.

Now, reviewing the rankings, I see that my oil of choice is rated at #47. (I'm sure it used to be about #15 or so!) Valvoline Full Synthetic High Mileage with MaxLife Technology is rated at #8. (But I need to study the temperature breakdown discussion further before changing.)

In ranking #24, the writer mentions a product called "Oil Extreme Concentrate" as an additive to your conventional oil. Without knowing anything about it, I used this product in lieu of a ZDDP additive to break in an engine several about 4 years ago. My sense at the time, when I drained the oil after a couple hundred miles, was that the oil felt extremely slippery.

Rather than the choice of oil, frequent changes of oil and filter may be more important. And 10W40 vs 20W50 may be relevant only if you are operating in extremely cold or hot conditions.

Just my 2 cents from the U.S. of A. Cheers.
blueosprey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blueosprey90 For This Useful Post: