View Single Post
Old Aug 9th, 2020, 17:23   #5
amadan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatNext? View Post
The electric range is only about 24 miles (realistically probably closer to 20)

The rest of the time you would be running a heavy sedan with a 2L engine which not known to be the most frugal (high twenties city driving in my T5 XC60, the T6 which is what engine you would have in the T8 is even more thirsty)
I think that's the older T8s. The 2020s (i think) got a bigger battery. Volvos listed WLTP for my car is 58km (google convert says that's 36miles) which definitely is an over estimate. WRT to the petrol - it's not as simple as the petrol being in play 100% of the time after the "36 miles" as the car works as a normal, very heavy, hybrid after that so there's a factor of energy reclamation. For example according to the VoC app I did a 33.8 mile journey this morning and "reclaimed" 2.5kWh (Fast A road).

I have the PE version of the V60 T8, which I got in June although I haven't had a chance to do a huge mileage due to Covid 19 (Odo is on 1052).

What I have found is the range is about 28miles in pure but you have to be fairly careful on the throttle/AC/Heating/Auxiliaries. For example trying to keep up motorway speeds on a hill will cause the petrol to kick in.

With PHEVs it's difficult to equate the real figures so I've attempted to calculate 2 values,
Petrol MPG, I don't trust the computer so these are just tank to tank values. This is IGNORING the electric usage.
"True" MPG. This is a bit more complicated but I take the cost of the electric at 13p/unit (The cost of my current supplier - I play to move to Octopus' EV tariff when I come off my current deal) and work out how many litres of petrol that would have bought at £1.20p/l and add that into the amount of petrol consumed in order to reduce the Petrol MPG by the cost of fuel not just petrol.

I get roughly 58 mpg PETROL / 54 mpg "TRUE" on my normal driving which is mainly on electric with some longer out of town trips.

I did drive an almost fully petrol only run whilst on a short break last month which was a mix of a couple of miles on the motorway and the rest on A/B roads each way. We only used the car once for a 8 mile journey whilst we were there. The total mileage was ~438miles and I did a tank to tank MPG of 35.8mpg.

I don't drive like a complete lunatic most of the time but I'm no old granny - my right foot really isn't the lightest.

For a 2000+kg estate car with a fair (although not amazing) amount of oomph it's relatively light on fuel and for me is a great introduction to electric.

If it wasn't for it being the next great satan I'd suggest a diesel as a better solution for the OP as others have said.

Last edited by amadan; Aug 9th, 2020 at 17:37.
amadan is offline   Reply With Quote