Thread: D5 (D5244T to 2005) - Vacuum line routing on D5? Schematics or pics?
View Single Post
Old Apr 6th, 2010, 13:24   #2
R-P
Master Member

So far I haven't found the second vacuum pump (but it may be a double pump, the info came from someone with an XC90 Euro III, 163hp D5). It should be pretty much under my hand at 18 seconds.

I did figure out some stuff from finally getting Vadis up and running and the advice of others.

Here's a vid showing some vacuum-lines, the 'variable nozzle turbo governor' (@ 25 seconds) and the relay controlling the engine-pads or -supports (@ 38 seconds). Since the latter is tie-rapped into place, I'm not sure if that's the correct position .
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Still not sure whether the 'solenoid valve' and the 'variable nozzle turbo governor' are the same item. I think they are, but they look differently in Vadis...

Edit: look what I've found
1=vacuum pump
2=power brake booster
3=VNT governor
4=engine pads
5=solenoid valve
6=engine speed (rpm) sensor
7=engine control module
8=brake control module

Beware the documentation is VERY confusing:
Quote:
The engine pads are activated (OFF/ON) depending on engine speed. Normally the valve is active (ON) at idle speed and is then deactivated (OFF) at engine speeds above approximately 1500 rpm.
ON = Open valve (hard engine pads).
OFF = Closed valve (soft engine pads).
Quote:
When the engine is idling or if the engine speed (RPM) is below approximately 1100 rpm and the vehicle speed is below a certain level, the engine control module (ECM) grounds the solenoid valve. The solenoid valve then opens the passage to the vacuum pump. This changes the atmospheric pressure in the engine pads to a vacuum, making the engine pads softer and better able to absorb vibrations at idle speed and low vehicle speeds. When the engine speed (RPM) is above approximately 1100 rpm or when the vehicle speed exceeds a certain level, the engine control module breaks the ground connection for the solenoid valve. The solenoid valve then closes the vacuum passage and opens the passage for atmospheric pressure instead. The atmospheric pressure then flows in via a hole in the solenoid valve and fills the engine pads, which become harder. This ensures better ride comfort in other driving conditions.
So which is it? Switching the solenoid ON and making it softer of switching the solenoid ON and making it harder?

Last edited by R-P; Apr 6th, 2010 at 15:18.
R-P is offline   Reply With Quote