Thread: ceramic fuses
View Single Post
Old May 6th, 2019, 22:47   #8
Nicholas Lewin
newish member

For what it's worth...

my 1991 estate has twice now (in just over 3 years of ownership) failed on me due to poor contact on fuse 6 - recently in the outside lane of a (thankfully not busy) motorway

I now have two spare fuse racks to play with. Fuse 6 especially must get quite hot as the lower brass tang is loose in the nylon rack, more so than other single fuses (where some fuses are electrically and structurally batched together in 2s or 3s, the tangs are much more secure - other single tangs are also more secure than fuse 6)

I have cleaned and vaselined the contacts and for now I will continue to do that, but...

I am looking at fitting tags to the fuse tabs. The tags will have short lengths of wire attached to them which run to an MCB housed in an in-line electrically isolated plastic holder. A debate I am having at the moment is what amperage to have the MCB - I can't find an 8A MCB, I can find 7.5 and 10 amps

Not saying that like-metals on ceramic (never plastic!) fuses won't help, just thinking of another solution...
Nicholas Lewin is offline   Reply With Quote