View Single Post
Old Nov 18th, 2020, 18:07   #2
volvo always
Premier Member

I had a 1986 740 estate with B230K Engine like yours.

We were having running and stalling issues with it after a year and Volvo diagnosed the pierberg 2B5 carb was the cause. Volvo wanted stupid money so asked an independent garage to fit our supplied Webber manual choke conversion kit. The Pierberg 2B5 carb apparently used to give problems.

Garage fitted new Webber carb and still cutting out! Said they would look for the issue and phone back.

60 minutes later, said your fuel pump relay is fubar, fitted new one and all working. When at Volvo, I had asked if the car had a fuel pump relay to be told "no, just a fuel pump fuse!

Moral of the story, cost £400 to sort a £20 part!

A few years later the webber carb jets would block up even with 2 inline fuel filters. You could drive hours then spluttering and rev counter bouncing up to 3k rpm. Pull over, blow the jets out and all good rest of the journey.

Started to get worse over time. Decided as we lived in rural France, to buy a New Toyota Corolla. While we waited 2 weeks for the new car it drove and worked faultless! The last issue may of been electrical.

My next Volvo was A 1989 240GLT with Mechanical D Jet Injection. Had no issues in the 10 years I had it. Now have a 1996 940 LPT turbo, again no issues.

Others on here have the B230K carb and not had any issues.

I actually found the Weber conversion kit better than the Pierberg and seemed to pull very well in 3rd up a hill.

Give it a good service. Plugs, Distributor cap, rotor arm, probably rev limiting one. Good quality Bougicord HT leads. I used NGK plugs, can't remember the code.

Is the Cambelt recent within 5 years old/ 50,000 miles? Suggest genuine Volvo belt as cheap and tensioner. The B230K is an interference engine. Ie bends rods if cambelt goes. Labour at garage should cost 2-3 hours taking their time.

Also renew the green fuel pump relay, behind ashtray.

James
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post: