Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Sep 24th, 2020, 13:18   #1756
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Thought the bungee would work Alan, it worked well for me. I'd go for the aftermarket items and if they're wrong after matching your part number to their strut which is what i did with the 1254057 number, it's their fault so they should pay return postage and refund so you won't lose anything.
After that some universal struts would be the last resort or think about making the bugee solution permanent, perhaps by using an expansion spring in place of them.

If you can tap out the roll-pins, you should be able to prop the boot lid open with a useful broomstick or inert neighbour and see what exactly you're doing with the fulcrum fitting without turning yourself into Quasimodo by bending over at an awkward angle.
Thanks Dave,

Good points. I'm more curious about this than I am in need of fixing the struts; they have not got any worse since I bought the RB, so maybe bolstering up the bungee idea would be okay - perhaps a bit more of a 'Charles Atlas chest expander' spring would do it?

I would like to get at least one of the struts off for a look, now I know what to look for the top ones do indeed seem to be a roll pin that should tap out with a small drift. The other end remains a mystery at the mo, but I can't help thinking there will be some really simple trick to removing them.

There is no reason whatsoever to rush and so damage something unnecessarily with this issue - slowly, slowly, catchy monkey.

Alan.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: