Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Sep 25th, 2020, 18:43   #1760
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Good point Dave. I couldn't help thinking that it it had been a Ford there would have just been a bolt in each end and no complex mechanism.

I recall something similar, I suppose 20 odd years ago when my daily driver was a XJ40 (a car I liked a lot). One day there was a pool of ATF on the garage floor from the PAS. The local Jag workshop diagnosed a pipe that had failed (with a 'these ones always fail, the new ones are much better' - not a good thing to tell a customer with such an expensive car). The part cost something like £200 (25 years ago).

The new part arrived and it was a thing of great beauty - all stainless steel and apparently required a special Jaguar spanner to fit it. I remember thinking I'd like to take it home and display it on the mantlepiece rather than have it fitted under my car.

... again I couldn't help thinking if it had bee a Ford it would have been a length of rubber pipe with a jubilee clip at each end costing £12 (I think Ford acquired Jaguar at about the same time).

:-)
I liked my XJ40 a lot as well, nice cars but very expensive on parts. I know of one part common to "classic" Minis, Rover 800s and Jag XJ40s. For a Mini, "a fiver mate", for the 800, "That's 6 pounds to you" and for the Jag, "That will be £16 please sir, is that American Excess?"

Same part but produced in different colours, Mini is black, Rover is natural and Jag is red if memory serves. Out of those three, the Mini version is best because the dark pigment makes the material denser and therefore stronger/more durable. The Jag version is next best but no way am i paying £11 over odds for it!

Ford had their finger in the Jaguar pie for quite a while, building up their shares and bought them with Land-Rover from BMW in about 1997/8, hence the X-Type was launched soon after, based on a Mondeo chassis with AWD added and the Mazda-derived 2.5 V6 also used in the Probe 24v aka Mazda MX-6.

I suspect your PAS pipe needed a special Jaguar spanner simply for access, the oil pressure switch needed an "S" shaped open end spanner to remove and refit it.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: