View Single Post
Old Aug 6th, 2020, 18:08   #19
ilmiont
VOC Member

An update at last and with luck it will be thread closed.

After three days of software downloads and pondering to no avail, the garage concluded the SAS must indeed have a genuine internal fault and ordered me another clockspring.

New one in and now it's all working again, code-free! Of course, my first replacement also worked flawlessly for a week, but I hope this will be end of the matter for me.

It would appear as though my initial speculation that this may have been weather-related was unfounded; the past weeks have been very dry and it's still been doing it on every drive. It worked fine for the first week, then became an intermittent fault, and was a persistent fault by the time it was taken back this week. They observed it throw SAS-000E without even moving the steering wheel, as have I, and confirmed the nonsense readings I'd been seeing.

After fitting the second new clockspring, the codes have disappeared. The garage also noted that the SAS reading in VIDA seems to be updating more quickly and smoothly. Both clocksprings were new genuine parts; it would appear I was a victim of simple bad luck and got a dud one first time round.

Let's hope this one holds up for longer than a week... if SAS-000E resurfaces again any time soon, then I guess it will be time to take a much closer look at wiring and electrical contacts and suchlike. But I hope it won't be necessary...