View Single Post
Old Sep 29th, 2020, 17:07   #10
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWT View Post
Hi folks
Thought i would post a couple of images of the car having had it out last weekend again still don't think this is right. Also the whole unit feels unstable i suspect this maybe because the front seems to be lifted due to the saggy bum.
Does this look right to any of you guys any useful comments are more than welcome
Facts
1 car boot empty save spare wheel and Volvo supplied tools
2 rear seat empty
3 two occupants in the front about 24 stones
4 105kgs Nose weight
5 All up weight of the van 1850Kgs over public weighbridge
6 Tyre pressure car 38 psi calibrated gauge used
7 Tyre pressure van 42 psi calibrated gauge used
Number 4 raises a question, what is the permissable nose weight for your car?

I ask as both my manual P1 V70 and manual P3 XC70 have a nose weight limit of 75kg

With a measured nose weight of 75kg the V70 dragged it's arse, but it was a softly sprung car, you really noticed it when passengers got in the back and 200k miles did not help. The XC70 by comparison may drop an inch at most. It is a firmer sprung car BUT it's ride hight is higher, hence the caravan and car sit more level.
The effect of nose weight is greatly increased if the hitch is low, while you need a slight nose down for stability too much and you loose both stability and crest clearance. All those gouges on speed calming humps are caused by low vehicles and towbar.

As a last resort can you still get the inflatable spring as sisters that fit inside the rear coil springs.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post: