Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Feb 6th, 2020, 09:59   #6
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
Nice car, though some of the bits are definitely non-standard.

Taking them in no particular order:

The alloys are Volvo "Virgos", normally found on GLT models so perfectly acceptable as an "upgrade". They will take 195/65/15 rubber if you need to replace the tyres.
The heater fan, wipers, horn and radio are normally on an accessory-live circuit: with the key in the ignition turn it to position 2 and they should operate; position 3 brings up the warning lights for ignition etc.
The door mirrors, stripes and roof-mounted abomination are definitely non-standard; the boot-spoiler might be a dealer-fit part - I don't know but have seen a couple of 240 saloon with something similar.
The front fog lights are after-market - you'll probably have to trace their wiring to find out where they're powered from. The rear fog lamps should come on with any lights - DRL, side, dip or main beam at that age.
Thetwin-tail pipe extension is also an after-market bit, as are the "Volvo 244GL" legends on the mud-flaps.
There's a panel-lighting rheostat on the instrument binnacle.
The headlamps might benefit from new reflectors; there are threads detailing the replacement process.
The indicators/hazard lights/seat-belt warnnig do share a common relay - check that it's properly seated and that the seat-belt buckles are properly seated in the latches and the latches are properly earthed
Courtesy light door switches do fail; remove them one by one, spray with contact cleaner and re-fit.

Do the timing belt - as it's a B21 engine you won't need the crankshaft locking tool - and replace the auxiliary belts at the same time.

If it's a B21A it should have a Pierburg CDSU175 carburettor so check the needle, jet assembly and diaphragm are OK and keep the dashpot topped up with ATF or 3-in-1 oil. If it's a B21E it's fuel-injected so carry a spare fuel pump relay.

Check the sun roof opens and, more importantly, closes flush to the roof; if it sits down at either or both rear edges then re-open it a couple of inches and re-close it with one hand helping to lift and guide it into place. Then take off the winding handle and give it a spray of silicon or white grease.

Oh, and enjoy driving it!
Wonderful, that is exactly the start I needed.

I like the wheels, I'm pleased they are acceptable Volvo items. The tyres are all okay, but 4 different manufacturers, so I'll get them reconciled into a good set soon.

The fan works on the '0' position of the key (so without the key) - so I suspect someone has mixed up some wires. I suspect that may have happened when someone fitted the Sony radio and confused the permanent and switched wires (perhaps the one to the clock?). I'll sort it out sometime now I know what is supposed to happen.

I think I can live with the stripes (they look quite professionally done, and some time ago so the green paint may have faded around them), the wing mirrors and the boot spoiler. The thing on the roof will have to go - so it will be out with mu son's hairdryer when we get a nice day.

I found the switch for the fog lights today (not the one marked 'front fog lights', but another illuminated one next to it) - they all work fine, which is nice. I'll probably change the switches back to standard sometime.

I have found the instrument lights rheostat - many thanks.

I'll have a look at the headlamps today - they seem to work fine, so I wonder if it is just an alignment problem. I have the specification in a nice Autodata repair manual that I bought second hand for a fiver.

I've ordered a new flasher relay, I'll also check the bulbs today - they all illuminate but if someone has fitted the wrong wattage that might spook the relay. I'm sure it won't be a difficult issue to fix - the same with the interior lamp.

The cambelt was changed at 100,000 miles - and there is still a reminder on the cover to change it again at 150,000. The car has covered 106,000 now, and I suspect it will only do 2,000/year with me, so the next one will probably be changed due to time rather than mileage.

The engine is a B21A with a Pierburg CDSU175 carburettor. In the spares that came with the car I found a packet marked 'diaphragm' (well, it was spelled phonetically, but that is what it meant), which I suspect will fit somewhere inside the carburettor. There were quite a few spares with the car, some now, some used, but all useful on a 40 year old:

The car does indeed seem to have new brakes, springs and adjustable Koni shock absorbers all round. The PO seems to have spent good money in some places.

I'd rather like to re-fit the chrome windscreen surround, the PO told me it just needed some clips, I wonder, would these be the right ones:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-240...53.m1438.l2649

The sunroof seems very good - opens and closes easily and sits well. I'll attend to the lubrication as you say.

Overall I'm pretty pleased with the car for the money (a couple of grand). There is just enough wrong with it to give me something to do, but it runs well and is really solid. I don't need it for transport of course (like everyone that buys a 40 year old car - I have 2 other cars and 4 motorbikes), but it is great fun to drive around in a 40 year old car.

Many thanks for your help.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Feb 6th, 2020 at 10:02.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote