View Single Post
Old Apr 19th, 2019, 14:17   #651
Army
marches on his stomach

Default Still winging it

Getting there slowly =>

^^^I've decided to fill in the holes for the grill mounting bolts on this left hand wing as they were rather oval and needed extra wide washers to provide some sort of support^^^

The plan is to fit the wings and figure out the position of new holes

Other holes have also been filled and the ropy state of the wing is now approaching "not so ropy as it was"!

The repairs (as I have mentioned a few times before) are OK for the next expected stage of applying body filler and also for my more controversial crappy bare metal look. I've added "character"...

...another form of unwanted character is the pock marked underside of the wing. Loads of tiny little rust craters =>

These little craters are a pain in the backside - very difficult to get the rust out of them. Speedblast (fine blasting sand) doesn't really help as the grains of sand are about the same size as the craters and although there's a fair amount of dust mixed in with the Speedblast which could potentially reach inside the craters those grains don't have the mass to be effective enough to shift the rust (I feel).

If only I had (access to) a three hundred thousand euro water jet media blaster (!)

My DIY solution at the moment for problems like this is to use chemical rust eating stuff - like the Rustyco - then apply Eastwood's rust encapsulator.

This can be applied roughly with a paint brush - no care needed as the next stage will be to sand it back so the encapsulator is in the craters but the upper surface bare metal, ready for the next stage => poxy epoxy

With the warmer weather on the way I hope to get a few bits done before I move house - there's a lull in the house buying progress where my attention isn't needed so I can crack on with the Volvo.

I even moved the position of the cars in the workshop - Volvo up front!

So I'm almost ready for potential progress
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote