Lozza
Events occur in real time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
its all in the 8th character of the VIN :

3 = euro 3 NO particle filter
4 = Euro 4 No particle filter
5 = Euro 4 WITH particle filter
Clan, thanks for that... I too have had the recall letter 'Oil level may rise'. I was a little dubious as I was sure my V70 D5 ('07) didn't have a DPF. I've checked my VIN and I have a '4' as the 8th character, so that's good news for me.

Interestingly enough my oil level has always stayed rock steady since day 1 with the car, never had an issue with it and I check it regularly.

I spoke to the dealer with regards the recall letter and was told that yes, despite my car not having a DPF (they had checked), it still required the software upload and the oil level reduced. Again, no real explanation as to what the software will do, however they claimed it was nothing to do with diesel fuel topping up the sump level and it was instead, due to 'oil misting' at either higher ambient temps, or engines driven hard.

Interesting, as a search on the net regarding oil levels rising almost certainly reveals hits on fuel topping up the sump levels rather than oil misting...

Either way, I'm not making any special trip to have this done just yet as my car's running really well at the moment. Like others have said, I'm curious to see how any other owners get on if they do go ahead and have this job undertaken.
2005 S40 2.0D SE (Sold)
Lozza is offline   Reply With Quote