Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old May 28th, 2020, 22:46   #1174
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I'd suggest the bracket for the cooling pipes from the gearbox be mounted on the side of the engine somewhere convenient Alan. Then the 10mm bore hoses will take all the flex.

I've contacted the person that's converting his 940 to manual and will have an AW70 looking for a new home and the propshaft too. I'll PM you his details including his number shortly and he says if you drop him a text, he'll send the measurements of the box and propshaft one evening this week. That way you can compare the measurements to those of your own box and propshaft and double check things like how far back the centre bearing is on the propshaft (would be worth renewing that for the cost of it while it's off, about £20 as it's shared by Sherpas, Land Rovers, Fronteras etc) and any other queries etc.

Not sure how soon he's doing it but he has all the bits as far as i know so should work nicely between the two of you.

If it's any help, the Mazda 323 was a small hatchback (1300 or 1500 engine usually) and the 626 was a Cavalier/Cortina sized 4 door saloon, previously called the Montrose, usually with a 2.0 although there was a 1.6 available.
I think the ATF lines bracket would have to go onto the offside wing Dave the rubber engine mounts would probably fracture the solid pipes if bolted to the motor. The bracket should not be a problem though, I could have it made up from a pattern before starting the job. I could use it to spread the two pipes by perhaps 20mm to allow me to squeeze the compression joints in as well.

The chap with the AW71 and I have established communications - I think we may be able to come up with a plan that suits us both. It looks like his schedule to change to the M90 might be in the New Year, so I'll go over with a tape measure then. If all is well and we can do a deal then he is happy to give me a hand with his hoist to pull the engine/box out here and swap it on the ground - change the crank rear bearing at the same time. I'm pretty sure the swap could be done in a day if I get everything ready and available.

I'm getting bored with fixing Volvo's crappy insulation on the electrical wiring in the engine compartment, so I'm thinking I'll make a new loom (just for the engine bay) and fit it with the engine out. There might be a few other housekeeping jobs to do at the same time.

This is still at the planning stage at the moment - but it does look like it might be feasible to co-ordinate changing the AW71>M90 and BW55>AW71 projects together for our mutual benefit.

Many thanks for your help.

I recall the 323 and 626 both very well, I had both whilst living in Cyprus in the late 80s (Mazda was the most popular car in Cyprus in those days). I'm pretty sure the auto was one of the 323s I owned (I had 3 at different times - and owned the last of them until about 5 years ago). I think it was a 1500cc carburettor SOHC engine and a 3 speed auto. I'm pretty sure I drove that car back from Cyprus and ran it in the UK for a while before giving it to a girlfriend. It was low geared (as all cars were in those days), but a really good motor. The best Mazda I had was a 323 DOHC 16v 1.6 - a very fast car for the day.

Alan
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: