Thread: General: 70: - loud exhaust
View Single Post
Old Dec 22nd, 2017, 10:44   #14
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe H View Post
Well this is an instructive thread as the centre pipe broke completely off the silencer last night so I need a replacement ! It will be interesting to hear if the replacement Klarius is better than the first one.

Otherwise, can anyone recommend a decent exhaust system that is not significantly louder than the original? I am assuming the OEM will be v expensive but should check that.

Cheers
Joe
Same thing had happened to mine when I got it, but I welded it back together. Hardest part was getting it off the car (I had to cut it and fabricate a join and an additional clamp) but it's been fine for many years now. I used ordinary welding wire, not stainless, but it's still been fine. Usually it's hard to do a decent job of welding an exhaust if it's broken due to rust, but these systems are stainless, so the break is likely to be due to a stress fracture rather than corrosion, so therefore much easier to weld, as you've got some decent metal to weld to rather than just more rust. I did give it a quick clean up with a wire brush on a drill before doing it though, so I was welding reasonably clean metal.

The quality of the original (stainless) systems is actually pretty good, so I reckoned I'd rather repair the original than get an after-market replacement, and I'm glad I did.