View Single Post
Old Aug 20th, 2019, 09:59   #17
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggyjames View Post
Many thanks for the updates, all.

Massive shame the pictures from Bic1's thread (any many others!) were lost in a software update which went wrong. Anyone got copies saved...?

cheers

James

Hi James,

Here are two that I took of mine when I did the S60.

I used a small nail held in pliers and heated it up to cherry red and used this to burn through the centre of the ball where the access is very limited.

A similar aligned hole was drilled through the socket end of the arm. A small bolt was then pushed through the ball and socket joint and the nyloc nut gently nipped up.

Far more substantial than Volvo's repair offering and I never had to touch it again.

I fitted the stopper so as to just limit it's overthrow when going through it's normal calibration cycle but so as to still allow it's full service movement. I had no codes or error messages whatsoever as a result.

As soon as I bought my current XC90 E4 I fitted an identical stopper arm even though the swirl arm was intact and functioning correctly. Again, no error messages.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Swirl Arm 028.JPG (378.3 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Swirl Arm 033.jpg (258.4 KB, 46 views)

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic

Last edited by S60D5-185; Aug 20th, 2019 at 10:05.
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote