View Single Post
Old Apr 5th, 2010, 12:32   #9
Audrey Old
VOC Member

Yes Jack - I saw that 240 too. Ebay is certainly a funny old world, but from what I've heard, there are lots of "no-show" winning bidders nowadays. Its almost as if its a challenge, rather like yobs collecting ASBO's. I thought the 'bay management blacked such people, but perhaps not nowadays.

For interest last autumn I paid around scrap value for a 1-owner late '70s manual Volvo 244 from the estate of its deceased owner. This car always lived in a garage and was covered with a dust sheet when I saw it too: it has less than 20k miles on it and is original with a few stone chips etc. At the reckoning of the ebayers watching the silver one, is it worth 'loadamoney'? I am a realist, and I think not: it only has a 4-speed 'box, so not really into economic motorway cruising, it doesn't have power steering, is '70s enamel rather than the lacquered silver everybody associates with 240s nowadays, and frankly isn't a sought-after classic. If it had been tax-exempt, that would have made it far more sought-after....

However, as an occasional driver, its lovely. But I am an old git now, who no longer likes hurtling around the lanes making a noise....

Paul
Audrey Old is offline   Reply With Quote