Thread: D5 (D5244T to 2005) - D5 engine starting on 4 cylinders
View Single Post
Old Jan 20th, 2014, 21:48   #15
coughlanc

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard333 View Post
Does anyone know if a Euro 3 D5 engine will start easily on 4 cylinders rather than 5 ? I am planning to use a common rail outlet nut with a copper blanking plate to seal off the outlet to the suspect injector which I think may be causing the rail to lose pressure and prevent the engine starting. A cranking leak off test has not shown conclusively if its an injector and this seems easier than swopping the injector.
I've done a similar test on a 4HK Isuzu with conclusive results. It had refused to start due to an injector being mechanically stuck open, not allowing startup rail pressure to be generated. I sourced an old injector pipe, cut it in half then beat the grannys out of it with a hammer over a vice until the end of it (about 20mm) was flat (common rail injector pipes are very tough cookies).
I then screwed it back on each injector outlet from the rail one at a time until I hit the faulty one. It then started on 3 cylinders obviously detecting fault with the one that was capped off.
There is a electronic injector test that can be performed on their engines but it only allows for the injector to be shut off electrically then measures the upped workload of the remaining injectors to sustain a given idle speed. It was no good for a stuck injector nozzle. Which was by the way caused by water in fuel.
coughlanc is offline   Reply With Quote