View Single Post
Old Oct 9th, 2019, 15:30   #24
LankyTim
Missing the point

Quote:
Originally Posted by morsing View Post
O_o Really?

Cramped, no-way. Don't know what car you're comparing to, maybe compared to an XC90, but that's not really a fair comparison. Compared to a reasonably priced modern car, the 240 a far more spacious.

We have a 2014 V70 as well, and I'd give my 240 the edge over the V70 when it comes to space.

Under powered... Not a chance. Your 2.0, maybe, my 2.3, certainly not! And again, it's quicker than most modern reasonably priced cars.

And I get 30+ mpg, that's not thirsty. My wife's Subary Legacy 2.0 got 18mpg on a steady 60mpg run down the motorway. That's thirsty!

Poor handling, for what? I know I did upgrade my suspension 12 years ago, but I don't remember it being poor handling even before that. Even so, just spend a bit of money upgrading it. It's certainly comfortable to drive, but I don't know what your poor handling comment is trying to compare it to.
I've had a few 240's and stand by what I say, the cabin is narrow and it's difficult to seat three people in the rear seats, even the wife's 2004 Ford Fusion can fit three abreast in the back with ease. Power? yes my 2.0 was underpowered, the couple of 2.3 powered cars I had were much better but not what I'd call fast. Handling... they're barge like, maybe the ones I had were a bit clapped out, I did spend some money on one replacing bushes and springs and it was greatly improved however. I had a 2001 Astra Estate after one of my 240's. It had a 1.6 8v petrol engine and it was much nicer to drive and more comfortable too. It didn't have that Volvo "feel" or smell though and of course, it didn't feel as solid.

As has been said, they're from a previous age of motoring and things have moved on, that doesn't mean I don't love them or I wouldn't have one again in a heartbeat, I can just accept that for a daily driver many more modern cars would probably beat it in every aspect. It just depends on what you want it for, a local commute or occasional use? Great, if you do 20k a year and need something that has easy parts availability and will do 50mpg, maybe not.

*dons tin hat and retreats to nuclear bunker, double locks door, peers nervously from letterbox*
LankyTim is offline   Reply With Quote