Thread: S40 V40: - V40 T4 PH1 water pump leak?
View Single Post
Old Jun 18th, 2019, 19:55   #16
Neil H
New V40 Owner

I was able to get the car up on some ramps today to take a look from underneath and this is what I saw.

So it looks like the leaking has been coming down the pipe rather than out of the pump but I'll no know for sure until I can run the engine up again while on the ramps to provoke the leak (i was defeated by the rain today).

One thing I did notice was the jubilee clips on the oil cooler end of these pipes are rusted to hell so I've got some new ones to replace these after I've managed to hack them off.

I also took the bracket off that is also rusted pretty badly just to make sure it hadn't worn a hole in the rubber pipe etc and couldn't see any damage.

I loosened the jubilee clip on the top end of one of the pipes to the oil cooler and the whole water system drained out so it's only losing a little bit of the water, not everything, just enough to empty to bottle or a bit more, so the leak has to be between the top of that pipe and the bottom of the bottle which does seem to be right around the water pump area).

I also noticed there is a drain plug in the system (item 11 on this diagram) anyone know how this is opened and closed? i.e. is it an overpressure blow off valve or just unscrew it to drain the system kind of thing?

This is the rest of the cooling system for reference:

So what I think I'll do next is take off the pipes to the oil cooler and just check them for holes or damage, then replace the jubilee clips and refill the system of water and run it up to see if I can tell where the leak is coming from

London, UK
Current Car - 1999 T4 V40 Ph1 66k AKA "Heather"
My Previous Car: V40 2.0T 2000 Volvo V40 2.0T (B4204T3)
Neil H is offline   Reply With Quote