View Single Post
Old Aug 17th, 2019, 12:41   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moncman View Post
Hi Clan,

I've heard about dampers going stiff but wasn't sure if this was an XC90 problem or indeed if it was something that happened to the Nivomats. Somewhere else in the forum I read that if the rear is not leaking they will be as good as new.

I've just bounced on the towball - I weigh about 87kgs and I had the Mrs sat in the boot. Bounce seemed fine, certainly what I'd expect for a big heavy car.

Did the same on the front by opening the bonnet and standing on the front shut panel. Again it bounces ok although the front seems a little stiffer. I guess it needs to be though if you are going to chuck that big D5 engine around country roads without feeling like a boat.

You might be onto something though as when towing it definitely felt like the front had gone light which would equate to the back pitching but the front failing to react in the opposite way (back compresses - front needs to extend).
yes the front is hard to move but the rear should be fairly soft so that the damper movement can pump them up .