View Single Post
Old Jul 7th, 2020, 22:45   #1
Ben E

Default 2004 2.4 S80 automatic gearbox service.

Good Evening all

This is my first post after buying a 2004, 2.4 S80 automatic.

The car is wonderful and I believe I've become a lifelong Volvo owner as I'm so impressed with my new purchase.

I've fully serviced the car since buying it last month but would like some advice on having the automatic gearbox serviced as the car has done 145,000 miles with no record of it having been done.

I understand the whole 'sealed for life' cobblers, but have noticed the gearbox holds onto gears for a little longer than I'd like at times. It also sometimes changes gear rather roughly but not to the extent I believe there's anything wrong with the gearbox as 95% of the changes are pretty flawless.

I've used an independent company in Bristol where I live before to do a full flush and fluid replacement on another car I used to own. I was impressed with the results and at £180 considered it good value. That was in 2014 however and I'm now being quoted £300 all in for the S80. I appreciate inflation and also am aware of the 12 litres of fluid needed in the S80 so am happy with the price.

However, I've also phoned the local Volvo main dealer who's quoted me £350 all in for the same service but also has said they'll reprogram the gearbox so it shifts better.

My question is, is the extra £50 worth it? Or will the car's ECU or gearbox electronics simply learn how to shift on their own once the fluid is replaced?

Many thanks

Ben.
Ben E is offline   Reply With Quote