View Single Post
Old Aug 12th, 2019, 23:39   #2
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsss40 View Post
Hi all,

I am spending this friday looking at as many xc90 as i can. i have short listed 5 i am hoping to view them all on friday. they are all 2011 plus and under 100k miles. varying in price from 8k-12k. variuos models from the basic active to top spec executive and r-design.

I would appriciate any advice on common faults any issues to look out for. what history should the cars have service intervals ect. dont want to catch a cold on one. so ive decided to ask on here as i figuered the best information would come from owners and experts of these cars.

I tend to get sucked in by the higher spec models but i know the more gadgets the more to go wrong.

Thanks ever so Scott.
These cars can wear substantial distances without issue so I would not be driven by miles covered.

Cam belts are officially 108k and it’s generally the Aux belt thT causes trouble due to its close proximity to cambelt. Look for one with cam belt, idler and aux belt and idler done if poss or budget 200 in parts or 450 fitted.

Reasonably heavy on brakes and suspension components but they are not expensive to buy or work on generally.

The auto box is a major issue potentially. Sealed for life is not good (Volvo change fluid if towed or used as taxi only). Budget 150quid to do yourself or 250 or so for a garage to change the fluid (fluid on 2011 costly).

On your model there is not a lot of 4wd system that silently fails, it should log a fault or warning lamp if problems.

Do t buy anything without a good history serviced yearly (18k intervals on yours).

The d5 Diesel engine is totally war torn and with routine maintenance lasts forever.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote