Thread: PV: - Guess the colour thread!
View Single Post
Old Jan 28th, 2018, 10:08   #14
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by canis View Post
I don't have much faith in scanners. They need to be extremely calibrated to work properly, the cameras are affected by lighting conditions, etc. Took our dog to the vet the other day, and loved the shade of yellow in the consultation room, I want it for our kitchen. But I coudln't photograph it accurately enough to get anything more precise than "some shade of yellow".

The colour chips are either exact or not, and a good eye will spot the difference, as you've noticed yourself a slight difference is quite visible. And there's no voodoo involved with the mixing either, the chips have a specific recipe from about a hundred pots of various colours, properly mixed there is no error. I suppose today they'd use digital scales, in my day it was counter-weight scales. The recipes were on a microfilm thing that slid around under a screen.
I did indeed hear the dulcet beep of the digital scales as the kind lady in the shop was making the first colour tester for me. She too seemed to have a bit of a low opinion of the scanner.

##########

I'm in a bit of a sticky position now.

The local paint shop who made a decent match for me can not supply a product that doesn't need a clear coat.

Guessing what it could possibly be based on Volvo paint codes is proving to be expensive and confusing. That code 70 for example is meant to be red but has turned out to be an orangey gold - I'm still not convinced that's right.

I think I'm going to have to find someone else locally who can match and mix paint - take off one of the wings for a decent match because there's nothing smaller on the car that's a reliable colour - bit of a bugger really: It is like in the old days where you place a random finger in the yellow pages and just hope for the best (meaning I usually stick with the "reliable" people I know and I'm not to enthused about finding new folks)
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote