View Single Post
Old Sep 16th, 2019, 22:43   #19
Haldex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by St Evelyn View Post
It doesn't matter whether you refer to a cross climate as a summer tyre, winter tyre or all-seasons - they are marketed as having grip levels on snow akin to those of a winter tyre, something that a stereotypical summer tyre does not have; thus, it is this grip level that is pertinent in the discussion, not the branding.
If you put tyres on one axle that have lots of grip and tyres on another without grip you will end up with an unpredictable car that is unsafe to drive in conditions where grip is demanded. That, in my opinion, is not a safe combination and certainly not a scenario that constitutes the OP being advised that all 'will be fine'.
Marketing aside- CrossClimates are really neither a proper summer nor a winter tire. They fare well in dry breaking only- but other than that- they are as bad as any other economy tire brand (here’s a this year’s comparative warm-weather test with mainstream summer tires: http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article...-Tyre-Test.htm ) They are particularly bad in lateral stability- and I am certain this would be amplified by putting them on the rear axle alone while keeping old summer tires up front.

Truth be told- the only argument for CrossClimates over proper summer/winter tires is economy. And I personally fail to understand that (with all due respect for everyone’s choice..) there are people buying €60K or €80K SUVs equipped with latest safety gimmicks- cutting no corners kitting them with bells and whistles- yet skimp on rubber. Skip the B&W stereo, or those massaging seats- and put some proper tires on that car!

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote