Thread: Amazon: - Undersealing an amazon!
View Single Post
Old Oct 21st, 2021, 23:15   #3
superspod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army View Post
Dinitrol as a product is one of the better ones that I have tried.

The thing about all of these preventative treatments is that they really need to be used on clean rust free steel. If you just smear what ever gunk you choose onto rust all you are really doing is making a bigger nightmare for the welder who will have to come along and fix it proper (!)

Removing old underseal on the underside of a car is one of my least liked jobs. I expect to get someone to do the job for you and for them to do a good job it will be a very expensive process. I imagine many commercial solutions would rather involve acid baths just because it is easier for the man power.

Having owned 1980's and 1990's Mercedes with their rubberised undercoatings I know that the rubberised solutions are not great in the long run. As soon as water gets under the skin of rubber it gets sucked along resulting in much larger rust problems than there would have been if there had been paint or old engine oil...

...my PV544 is in a much better state than many modern vehicles and has lasted longer than them partly because of slightly thicker steel but mainly because of the old tar based underseal treatment it had (that didn't spread water like that rubberised ****)
Thank you! Unfortunately it's not the cheapest thing to have done and it's a full 3 day process, but would rather get it done properly! And ever since i got it 9 years ago, i've been dealing with ramifications from the poorly done underseal of a previous owner so would prefer it managed by a professional first. I have been assured it would be fully taken down, rust attended to, and then treated (with full photos as a before and after). But glad to hear the product is well recommended, and hopefully in future instances I can treat it myself!
superspod is offline   Reply With Quote