View Single Post
Old Jan 22nd, 2023, 11:24   #1
Wickedy

Default Cambelt worst case scenario!

XC90 2009 SE LUX, 130k miles, D5 185bhp [deceased]

Hi all,

So it happened... aux belt jumped off for some reason and it took out the cambelt too... at 75mph on the A14. The noise sounded exactly the same as when the tyres throw up some gravel at that sort of speed... a LOT of gravel that is. What was actually happening was a very rapid chewing-up of belts and doubtless valve smashing.

The belt had sometimes been making some ticking noises on cold starts recently. Having used this forum a lot over the last 3 years, I'm annoyed with myself for somehow failing to learn how the aux/cam belt arrangement on the D5 can lead to disaster As both belts only have about 20k on them, I can only assume something like the alternator was playing up.

Both are torn to shreds and both the crank pulley and alternator are jammed up with shreds of belt, so it's a real mess. The only slight ray of sunshine is that all the pulleys and tensioners etc appear in good shape - I gather they can get ripped out, writing off the block.

I didn't come here to confirm the engine is toast... that's pretty obvious! I'm assuming valve damage at the absolute minimum, but likely cam/lifter/head damage too given the speed etc. I would take the top off to make a start, but that means injectors out etc and it's -4C outside as I write this.

Here's my question: Can anyone recommend a place (preferably near CB11) that could either fit a recon engine or new head to existing, and what I should be looking to pay?

On the economic side... I'd say the car was worth £4,500 prior to this incident, but I have done a lot of work on it etc and I wouldn't want to spend less than 9k or so on a replacement in order to get something I trust.

I know this line of questioning has come up many times, but not that recently. Given the age of the Mk1 now, availability of parts and things like ULEZ, I'd be interested to hear current opinions.

cheers

David

Ps. If anyone has a tidy XC90 they want to sell, DM me...

Last edited by Wickedy; Jan 22nd, 2023 at 11:29.
Wickedy is offline   Reply With Quote