View Single Post
Old Aug 5th, 2020, 12:16   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rct1234 View Post
I've noticed recently that the steering wheel vibration warning function on my V60 is very weak. I'm talking about the vibration warning you get from the lane keeping aid and also when the steering assist disables on the pilot assist. In my old V40 the vibration was strong, which is why I think there may be an issue on my V60. I'm wondering whether anyone else can tell me whether they think theirs is so weak as to be almost imperceptible or whether I may have a problem.

On a few occasions recently the steering assist has disabled without me being aware of it, which seems like a safety issue for me. Of course I have my hands on the wheel but if the steering assist turns off I want to know about it, what if it disables half way round a corner? I'm surprised there's not an audible warning for this.

To test it I tried changing lanes a few times without indicating (naughty I know) and while I think there was a vibration it was hard to feel even when I was actively waiting for it.

I asked the garage to look at it when it went into service recently and they said they couldn't repeat the problem, but I don't know whether testing this function is part of the service and I doubt they went out of their way to repeat it. The service in general was terrible, they even returned my car with a part missing, which they still haven't replaced 3 weeks later.

Anyway, if anyone has an opinions I would be grateful to read them.
I think you are looking at this and the other AIDS the wrong way .. you seem to be depending on them which is wrong ..
YOU are the person steering and driving the car at all times, no one or nothing else is ..

The AIDs come in when you are failing in your duty to control the car properly for whatever reason . In normal use a good driver NEVER has the AIDs engage .
It's like City Safety, you drive along and don't brake expecting the AIDs to do it for you and stop you hitting the car in front ? NO of course not , it should be the same with the other AIDs ...