Thread: Seriously?
View Single Post
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 13:00   #1360
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I rather hope it doesn't sell to someone unsuspecting, then we have a new member to the forum wanting to know how to repair all the rust at the back, rebuild the gearbox, axle, suspension and brakes, fit a turbo motor... in a few months time. That has happened several times previously :-)
Happens all too frequently sadly, people don't carry out due diligence and think that because all the other similar cars for sale are the same age and they're running fine, the prospective horror machine will also run fine. It comes as a nasty shock to most that they can't just throw some service parts at it and hey presto, it's in showroom condition in a weekend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
I'll echo that mate, I remember some of the basket-case Land Rovers that some folks bought!
Enthusiasm over reality. Oh dear. Pitiful to watch as the reality bit dawned.☹️
Same here Andrew although not with Land Rovers specifically unless you count one particular Range-Rover - it's a ~1986/7 and one of the very early Vogue SE models, for this reason and its myriad maladies it gained the moniker "Strange Rover Vaguest", i'll let your imagination run riot but tin worm was aplenty as were mechanical faults.
The guy who owned it put up a valiant effort but in the end conceded defeat and bought a 75 Tourer with the horrible BMW oil burner under the bonnet. Not sure what happened to the Rangey in the end.
In fairness he wasn't a stranger to restoration and was a pretty decent mechanic in his own right, unlike a lot of the people that have recently decided to buy an old Volvo (or any other car for that matter) and think a weekends work will see it in councours d'elegance condition mechanically and cosmetically.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: