Thread: Engine: B5234: - V70 T5 No Oil Pressure problem
View Single Post
Old Feb 17th, 2020, 21:18   #1
saturnfive

Default V70 T5 No Oil Pressure problem

Hello all,

I'm posting regarding a no oil pressure warning message with red oil light.
The car has made a slight whirring whining noise on the last couple of starts that sound almost like a gear or wheel bearing noise. Not very loud and it goes away warm. It has also just started giving a couple of little hesitation bounces in rpm for the first second at startup but could unrelated. Yesterday after driving for about 5 minutes it threw the no oil pressure message with the red oil light on so I stopped immediately.

It was close to home so started again and got home without the oil light coming on.

Started it again today and the whirrey whiney noise is present initially but no light until it starts to warm up. The noise goes away but within about two minutes the no pressure message comes on.

Have spent the day reading through posts and figure that the best thing to do is change all the seals in the sump and hope that the whirring is not coming from a knackered oil pump or worse...

Should I also attempt the oil trap job? Looks a bit of a mare taking off the intake manifold but maybe best if the whole system has gotten clogged. I notice that there are slight bubbles on the dipstick oil after running for a couple of minutes but to be honest I don't like to run the engine and see if it gets proper frothy with a no oil pressure message. On the filler cap there is now some emulsion gunk which was not there when I last checked a few months ago. There is also what looks like a little bit of condensation on the dipstick when it's cold in the morning.

There is plenty of oil sloshing around on the lobe of the cam visible under the filler cap but oddly there seems to be some carbon marking on the quiet side of the cam. Seems odd that the cam is not clean the whole way around???

Spent all day searching the other posts on here and most seem to say that their engine sounds fine when this problem occurs. Mine doesn't sound normal which is a bit of a worry but at least it's had almost no running time in this condition.

Any advice on part numbers for the seals for my specific engine would be much appreciated. Are the aftermarket seals better than the volvo ones? Seems like a weak point of volvo and perhaps aftermarket are actually better quality? Thoughts on doing the oil trap as well? Any links anyone has to a description of how to do both jobs on a T5 would be massively appreciated.

My car is a 2000my (W reg) V70 mkII T5 (2.3) engine B5234T3 Auto.
Many thanks for any advice.
Cheers
saturnfive is offline   Reply With Quote