View Single Post
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 18:57   #18
morwenna240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feled View Post
You don’t say if your 145 has a single or twin carbs?
In another post from you I see there is a new twin carb manifold available from Brookfield, that would be a good start. The best SU’s are possibly the 44’s which have the float bowl on the bottom. These combined with the twin outlet exhaust manifold into a twin initially and then a 21/4” exhaust with suitable back muffler should make it breath a lot better. K&N filters improve breathing.
Make sure you have a heat shield between the inlet and exhaust manifolds.
I have done this on a 142 2l engine which originally had Stromberg carbs. I had to insert a a variable pressure valve to stop the carbs from flooding possibly because the Strombergs would accept a higher pressure than the SU’s.
Sadly I no longer have a 140 series car but have helped save 3, 2 x 142S, here in Australia.over the last few years. My first 144S was bought new in the UK and exported to New Zealand. The last a single carb automatic.
Good luck great cars
It's a single Stromberg. Seems to go quite well on it; i recently got car started after 20 yrs in a barn, an, despite brakes being stuck on to the extent that two people couldn't move it, car moved off smartly. Ticked over smoothly, too. By "suitable back muffler", do you mean just the one muffler, er, without over much inside it? I don't mind a little extra exhaust note, can sound nice, but i don't want boy-racer levels. Most systems have two mufflers, so just the one, then? How about cams? Thanks, Mark.
morwenna240 is offline   Reply With Quote