View Single Post
Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 23:03   #1
gloster_man
VOC Member

Default Coil testing specs. (stalling at low load) ?

My usually-reliable 1992 B200F has been dying at junctions, etc., whenever I've been out recently (not often!), and I (on Sunday) and AA man (today) found no spark from distributor ... but occasionally it will run - e.g. after rotating fuses or cleaning plugs or interior of dizzy cap. Fuel is getting through. So maybe the coil is u/s, but I'd like to test it before buying another. Car and I brought back this evening on a rescue truck; will only go out again when I'm sure of reliability!

My Haynes manual - no. 270 - covers only up to 1988 [my later book has gone missing] and details testing of all older systems, with widely varying primary & secondary resistances for the coil - but not LH 2.4. Can somebody quote me the values for checking the coil on my vehicle? (And /or suggest any other potential cause of this trouble.)

I haven't thought of the Crank Position Sensor being faulty, as I replaced it about 25,000 miles ago - but will do so in the morning. Maybe the electronic ignition module .. (but how to know if it's not working /giving output?) [.. for the same reason].

Thanks all.