View Single Post
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 14:38   #43
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welton View Post
I read on another forum where a guy went to an automotive exhibition and spoke to Hella (or similar) and they said it was possible to 'soften' the sharp cut-off line produced by LED's but Premium Brand Customers wanted it! almost like "my headlights are brighter than yours" so therefore I'm better than you...
This has been ever thus.

Think back to the 1930's when Lucas introduced the P100 headlights - these were massive dustbin lids of lights and only fitted to premium brands such as R-R, Bentley, Lagonda and other upmarket marques.

In the 1960's you had arrived if your car was fitted with Sealed Beam headlights and the really posh had four headlights. Rolls-Royce, Jensen and Alvis to name a few.My '65 Silver Cloud had four sealed beams no less, just to make sure the peasants know their place Rally cars had umpteen Cibie driving lights adorning the front end - not fog lights but driving lights. Citroen, of course, went a step further with swivelling driving lights on the DS models so that the lights shone around the corner as the steering was turned. Modern designers have tried to copy the idea with the one fog light that comes on with the turn indicators, but just make the car look daft.

With every advance in lighting technology there will always be the moaners - me included - that will winge about the brightness etc.

Now don't get me started on front only DRL's. Only last night after dark and in pouring rain I met an oncoming car with DRL's and fog lights on - so bright the driver could possibly see a mouse at 200 yrds. Only for it to pass and not one rear light was on. It was a black car as well so impossible to see it from the rear.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post: