View Single Post
Old Dec 27th, 2018, 11:32   #50
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post
In terms of an experienced (I never said older) driver passing the current test I would have to say the most difficult part would be the computerised hazard perception test, to me it verges on 'not fit for purpose'. Basically it is a series of video clips and one is required to click on the mouse when a hazard appears. We had a computer programme for my daughter to learn with, as an experienced driver I found myself seeing many potential hazards that didn't develop and seeing even the planted hazards too early, so I failed for clicking at the wrong time and too often.

On the night driving topic, I now have the new glasses, just haven't been out at night yet to try them
Agree absolutely, David. A group of IAM members recently had a 'go' using similar software with the same (predictable) results. This is one of the reasons why I said that I am uncertain if I would pass the test were I to take it today. Anecdotal, I realise, but I am not aware of any published research on the subject. I think all of us who have been driving for any length of time develope a 'sixth sense' as you say.

I hope you find your new glasses as helpful as I do mine - I can certainly recommend the 'Zeiss' Drivesafe coating.

Regards, John.