View Single Post
Old Sep 30th, 2013, 21:55   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
Thanks for that Clan. Informative. I thought it was the little stop/start battery! I will take the car for a long run tomorrow then to charge the main battery up fully.

Must admit that the car hasn't been used much in the last few months, standing for a couple of weeks to three weeks at a time, then a few short journeys, then standing again. Doesn't do batteries much good that I suppose.

Regards
indeed , the worst enemy of a battery is not being used . You may find the damage already done .
The battery will need a long charge on a charger first , use one which is capable of supplying at least 15 or 20 Amps . Overnight is not always enough . and when charging it is Important to put the charger earth to the CHASSIS ( or engine or gearbox ) of the car NOT the negative battery terminal , otherwise the car's battery monitor will not measure the fact that the battery is being charged and it will affect it's calculations . Try it see how it goes , and if it fails again get your dealer to do the onboard battery test proceedure whilst it is not working ..