View Single Post
Old Jun 9th, 2019, 16:31   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobS View Post
Hi,

I have always changed the oil and filter between services and the engine on my V70 (215k mls) is still quiet and trouble free.

Now I also have a XC60 (2015) and although the dealer can't be faulted for the servicing on both occasions the bill is eye watering!

I would like to know how to check the oil level when changing the oil?

A guide would be helpful.

Questions like how to trust the level shown on the display. Does it need ignition switched on and off to re-scan the level or does it constantly give a updated level?

How much oil to put in before checking the level?
A mechanic said that the level shown on the display can be reset electronically. So can this level be trusted?

The mechanics of changing the oil and filter hold no worries but the lack of a dipstick spooks me a bit.

Any tips or guides welcome.

Thanks
Bob
A lot of people and non-volvo garages mess this up on the new volvo 2.0
4 cylinder Diesel .

you need to drain all the oil and filter when hot , fit a new filter then pour in exactly 5 litres of volvos finest 0w/20 VCC RBS0-2AE specification oil , you must use this unique to volvo oil . The physical oil level will be correct .
when you have done over 20 miles the gauge registers the amount of oil it thinks is in there . You may be lucky and it will be on MAX . if not then you need to take the car to the dealer to get the oil level gauge reset . It depends how much oil the last person put in when he reset the oil level gauge . it is part of the service to reset the oil level gauge . It then takes the present level to be correct .