View Single Post
Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 16:16   #13
Gnomeface

This seems to be a common problem if you have the "free" Vodafone 100Gb sim card. I spent 2 weeks trying to get this to work properly with the Volvo On Call service without success. The On Call App link is fine, so I can access the car remotely to check that it's locked, etc. etc. but the sim card itself would not link to Vodafone, despite me trying via mobile hot spots, linking to my home wifi, and so on. Today my dealer tried again and after 1/2 hour without success took the car away from the dealer site to a place where the Vodafone network signal was at its strongest. Eventually the sim card and the Vodafone system did connect (it seems to me that any slight drop in signal aborts the process) and the dealer managed to set up my Vodafone account - and the Vodaphone On Call emergency button in the car does now work. If this "free" sim card isn't present (it only started being offered at the beginning of October) the car's built-in sim card links seamlessly to the Volvo On Call service without all these issues.

I later spent another 1/2 hour trying to log on to Vodafone's awful 1990's account system and change the details that the dealer put in for my account to what I wanted. The whole Vodaphone "internetinthecar" experience was a nightmare to set up - and the sim card is only free for 1 year or until the 100Gb data is used up. Volvo's mobile On Call App link is free for 3 years, but don't confuse it with the 1-year Vodafone offer.